I was a consistent honor student in my old school. From nursery until
fourth year high school, I was always on the list. It’s not easy
studying in my former school since the passing grade was seventy-five
percent in elementary and intermediate level and sixty-five percent in
high school level. Every time my former school conducts a parent-teacher
conference, my teacher would commend me to my parents, saying I did
well in this subject, or that I’m polite and attentive in class. After
which, she would tell them what I need to improve.
Every school year, my teachers would say the same thing I need to
improve to get higher grades than I have. Then, my mom and I would have
the same talk and give me advice. I must tell you that it was very
deafening to hear the same comment every year. What my teachers told my
parents was that I was never reciting in the class. And if I do, you can
actually count it using your fingers. That’s my weakness. I was never a
speaker.
There is a reason why I don’t recite in class. It’s that if I would
speak out my mind, I want either to be commended or not to be noticed by
people because humiliation does not wear off immediately. It doesn’t
help when people keep on judging and mocking my pronunciation. I should
tell you that my confidence had worn off and reached its lowest point. I
took several measures to improve myself. My sister used to flash some
cards with words written on it and I would recite them. I would read
lots of paragraph and would search if I don’t know how to pronounce the
words.
I don’t want to give up because one day, I know it would come in
handy just like what Sir Valois keeps on telling us. That’s why up to
this day, I must say I’m still struggling. I’m still trying hard. And
I’m still facing my weakness, turning it into strength because I’d like
believe what Ralph Waldo Emerson once said that our strength grows out
of our weaknesses.
Copyright © 2012 Em Luzande. All rights reserved.
No comments:
Post a Comment