It was on the eight of March 2012 when my classmates and I planned to help a person in any forms we can think of. Our first plan was to play the guitar and sing on the street and give the money we would earn to the needy. Sadly, this plan didn’t work out. Not far away, we saw a man selling flavored corns. It looked like he wasn’t selling anything. That’s when an idea kicked in. We went to the vendor and ask if we could help him. Surprisingly, he said yes. I mean, we were strangers to him and yet he didn’t hesitate to trust us. He was smiling while we were pursuing some potential customers. Then we met a boy who looked like he hasn’t eaten yet. We gave him 10 pesos and asked him if he’s going to use it to buy himself a food and not unnecessary things. He said yes, then went to the vendor and bought some flavored corns. He said thank you to us and told the vendor that the food was delicious.
Those experiences taught me valuable lessons. First, there are still people who can trust you and are willing to receive any help. I’m a person who isn’t eager when it comes to other people helping me. Maybe, it’s my pride. The vendor served as an eye-opener for me. He taught me that it isn’t bad to ask for help and trust someone. He also showed me that I should be happy with everything that surrounds me, that I should smile often. The boy, even though he is very tiny, taught me a huge lesson. And that is to be thankful with what I have. I take things for granted, being brought up by parents who give everything I need and want. I forgot to thank God. I forgot to thank my parents. But thanks to this boy, I will always be thankful with what I have. This boy is not only thankful, but also appreciative. He appreciated the fact that his food was delicious. He boy made me remembered to appreciate even the small things.
Poverty is something I’m not fond to talk about. It hurts me that people are experiencing this while I lavishly spend my life. It makes me think that I’m an insensitive person. But because of these experiences, it made me realize that I can do something. I have learned great things. But I would say that realizing I could do something so meaningful and helpful to others would be the most important thing I've learned. I didn't know I could make a big change or difference to others by a simple way. I didn't know I was capable of doing great things. I would love to help other people and put in action all the great things in my mind someday.
Copyright © 2012 Em Luzande. All rights reserved.
No comments:
Post a Comment